Wednesday, August 31, 2011

AFC Half Marathon

Myself, Allison, Derek waiting for the bus at our hotel


So I did it! Not the best of races, but I crossed the finish line in 1:50:17. I felt so nervous from the moment I woke up until about 1/2 mile into the race. We got the bus at our hotel at 5:15 a.m. The race did not start until 7:00 a.m. so we waited at the start for a while. I was so excited to get running. I was trying to go the first two miles at 8:20 and 8:17 pace. I went out too fast and definitely paid for it later in the race. I ran the first two at 8:00 and 7:59. The next two were down hill and then the course flattened out. I started to feel the pain at mile 6 and I took my GU to try to get some energy.We had a turn around loop in the Harbor and I was just trying to keep strong mentally because physically it was not looking good. There is a mile and a half hill in the last two miles. That hill kicked my butt. I ended up walking part of it because it was so hard. I tried to stare at the ground because it seemed like there was not an end to the hill. As I entered into Balboa Park I knew I was so close. I just pushed through it and  in the end I am so happy that I finished.I am looking forward to my next one November 6.  My miles:
 
Finish time 1:50:17 total 13.24 miles
8:00,7:59,7:42,7:14,7:53,8:07,8:14,8:13,8:14,8:21,8:59,10:07,9:33,1:41


Allison and Derek before the race. They both did awesome

Myself and Allison at Point Loma

View from our room

Derek and Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment